A=444 Hz

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 20:32:01 -0800

Howard,

If you think about how much difference there is between the speed of
F3-A3 and F#3-A#3 (1/2 a beat difference caused by raising the two notes
100 cents), then there should be only .08 beat increase with a 16 cent
pitch raise. My math may be a little fuzzy but, anyway, negligible as
you say. Same would apply to sixths and tenths.

IMO, it has more to do with pitch, that there is an innate tendency for
musicians (with absolute pitch) to want "brighter" (meaning higher
pitches), that sharper is preferable to flat or on pitch (poor musicians
play flat), and the only hope we have of keeping the 440 standard
(besides piano technicians) is the inflexibility of wind instruments to
accommodate an ever-rising standard. Any day now I expect orchestra rage
to manifest in the form of trombones launching rockets into the violin
section during the 1812 Overture. BwaaAAAAHH!

Tom Cole