The Pitch Thing

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 04:33:23 -0000

I don't think that stretched or unstretched makes a difference relative to
A440 or A442.  An A440 "stretched" tuning does not sound like an A442
"unstretched" tuning.  An A440 tuning stretch to x degree sounds to most
people just like an A442 tuning stretched to the same degree.  Most of us,
even those with so absolute pitch, would be hard pressed to listen to A4
struck on the piano and tell you whether it was A440 or A442.  People like
pianos at varying pitches for different reasons.  I tune for several
violinists who say that they can definitely tell the difference in there own
instruments when they have to tune to a slightly higher pitch: it makes
their violin sound more brilliant.  There are others who simply prefer the
idea of a higher pitch.  Can they actually tell the difference?  Who knows.
But if they want it at 442, what's the problem.  Just put it there.
Sometime you should read Franz Mohr's book.  He has a section on pitch and
discusses his experiences with this very thing.  You might find it
enlightening.

David Love