Pinbock thickness

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 11:01:28 -0700

Get the right size.  Sometimes you can cheat a little if it is a little
thin, say 3/16 at the absolute most and preferably less in most
circumstances.  In some isolated cases this can be somewhat of an
advantage if the piano lacks downbearing and you want to try correcting
this somewhat by slightly lowering the plate.  As a side bar, however, be
aware that doing this can also reduce the keybed clearance so that the
action won't slide into the piano because the drop screws will run into
the block.

Even a slight difference can be pretty substantial.  One significant
reason, (particularly a whopping 1/2 inch), is that your tuning pins in
all likelihood will be too long and stick out through the bottom of the
block.  Then you have to use shorter pins to compensate.  This might seem
like it isn't a big deal but now you really are starting to change the way
the piano was designed.  Since the idea of "restoration" is to make the
piano like it was when new, you really have passed the threshold of
"restoration.  Doing a rebuild job requires many hours of hard work.
After going through the 98% effort of rebuilding everything else
correctly, go the tiny 2% and do it right.  It is no big deal to order a
new block.  You can use the 1-1/2 block on another piano.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV