Polyester Repair

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:55:38 -0500

>Good Day, all! Can anyone direct me to a Journal article about
>polyester finish repair? I have search the CD-ROM and find only ads
>from Schaff.  Has an article about this repair appeared since 1999,
>maybe? I have never done this repair before, and am wondering about
>the wisdom of diving into it on a customer's piano without prior
>experience. Thanks, Patrick Poulson, RPT

If this is a one shot repair, I would recommend you refer the repair
to someone else with prior experience with polyester experience. You
don't want to practice on your first polyester repair on a customers
piano in their house though.

It's sort of like when we get a customer who comes in looking to buy
a tuning hammer and some mutes so they can tune their own piano.

If you're interested in making this a regular part of your services
you'll need the right materials, tools and go through a learning
curve, as with most things.

We've used polyester materials from Allied National Industries in the
past with good results. We still use their buffing wheels (both a
course one and a fine one). The Koning materials are better. They're
available from Web Phillips (see: http://www.webbphillips.com/)

To do it right you need to go out and buy a buffing machine with the
proper rpm, which you can get at an auto body supply store that
caters to the body shops (you won't find them at Home Depot, Sears,
etc.).
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.