Parts Markup

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 07:36:49 -0500

Paul,

In my opinion it depends on how much a person needs to depend on the markup to
stay in business.  For example, a grocer needs to mark up everything because
sales of products is the only way he can stay in business.  At the opposite end
would be those who sell only their time, for example psychologists.

In the piano industry some of us are at the one end while some are at the other.
The closer one gets to doing only service, the less important income from parts
becomes.  If 99% of your income is from tuning and regulating, you could even
*give* the parts away.  I still wouldn't always do that, since 1% of , say, a
$30,000 annual income is still $300.

To simplify my bookkeeping all my charges are to the nearest dollar.  If a piano
needs 5 flanges at 90 cents each, I will charge the client $4.00, which is 50
cents less.  I give parts away if I feel they cost so little that it's too much
bother to bill for them (a couple punchings, maybe).  For something I don't want
to give away, such as a 40-cent part, I have a minimum parts charge of $1.00.  I
have always felt good about that since I saw in a piano store twelve years ago
the minimum parts charge was $8.00.

Regards, Clyde