future of the acoustic piano

Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:15:21 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> Oh, come on, Stephen. Next thing you'll be wanting pianos to go back to
> having some kind of broad tonal dynamics and musicality and musical intimacy
> and all that. No one wants that stuff any more -- just give me bright and
> power. "

Actually I kind of tend to aggree with Stephen on this very important issue.
Todays piano manufacturers have, well simply lost perspective... they
continually explore the possibilites for making instruments more and more
explosive in sound. These gargantuan monstrosities are soon capable of shaking
smaller concert halls to their foundations... Combinations of powerfull
acoustics and mega watt sound systems can result in grand pianos literally
flageulating on stage. I say let them at it.... let the electronic industry take
over the whole shooting match, and let us return to the days of the clavichord
and early forte's. Let us renew ourselves by re-exploring our roots, let us find
our spiritual birthing grounds...let us rediscover the arts and devices of the
ancients in the light of our modern world... let us redefine the concept of
nostalgia to arrive at something wholey different and more wonderfull then any
musicalitie'  that has been experienced before. We CAN do this thing... you, I,
.... we.... but we must first unite... take up that torch and bear it proudly,
defiantly into the future. Ladies... gentlemen....(and you too Bob) I implore
you... nay... I DEMAND it,,,,  think you twice about !

> Have a heart, Stephen. Do you want to disrupt and entire industry? If we go
> the direction you're talking about where would all the modern hammer makers
> be? They would have to start making piano hammers again and they've
> forgotten how. We would have to start voicing for musicality and dynamics
> again and we've forgotten how. Besides, most of us would have to get hearing
> aids just to hear all those dynamics.

sad.... but so true....so much has been forgotten... lost... sad... very sad...

> Ah, well... Nice dream. That is what you were doing, right?
>
> Del

What ???

--
Richard Brekne