Teflon centers

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:04:14 -0800

Dear list, some months ago I detailed an event concerning a steinway m =
that I service in our local library. Some may recall that a pianist had =
run a room humidifier for several weeks in sept. and oct near this =
piano. The pitch was 60 cents sharp !. ( I've since  made a proposal to =
the board for a climate control system.)   Update... @ 30% humidity =
,Tuning has been stabilized and block, board , ribs and bridges so  far =
are fine. My problem now is in seized action centers. The action was =
reconditioned and regulated five years ago  . polished keypins and =
capstans, bolstered and  lubed knuckles , lubed rep springs, and =
balanciers etc , etc . Very little teflon work was needed and the piano =
had been playing well. I spoke with a Steinway tech  from our local =
dealer in Boston and with Kent Webb @ S+Sons N.Y.seeking advice today. =
Both felt that the variable in this actions performance was this high =
humidity condition,and both suggested protek as a what have you got to =
lose  attempt to free this action. On  a sample hammer I went from one =
swing to three with the protek , Better, so I applied to all centers but =
its  still very sluggish. My questions: What is actually happening to =
the bushing to cause this and

 Short of an action rebuild, Do I repin every center, and if so what =
happens when we go back to higher humidity . Thanks for your responses   =
  Tom Driscoll