Securing bridge pins with epoxy: was Pinblock Plugs

Roy Peters roy.peters@mindspring.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:25:53 -0500

I have been doing this same basic procedure as well.  I use a Sandvik cabinet
scraper to resurface the top of the bridge rathar than sanding.  It seems to
take less time.  Also, I don't take out all of the string groove. My thinking is
that the wood has already compressed that far, and should be rather dense there
already. It seems to me that there would be a certain amount of compression set
into the wood under the string.
   As Roger says, the epoxy will find it's way around any crevice it can find.
I have had it creep from the back row of pins to the front row.  Last year I was
replacing bridge pins, and did the epoxy treatment to the back row of pins in
the treble section.   I came back the next day to install the front row of pins,
and found that the holes had hardened epoxy in the bottom.  So, I had to do some
extra drilling that I hadn't planned on.  Now I always epoxy the front and back
pins at the same time, at least within a section.

Roy Peters.