VJ lube

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 05:00:39 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 8:18 PM
  Subject: VJ lube

  O.K. folks,
      I spent some time tonight making one incredible mess making this
  witches brew we call VJ-Lube. Could someone post the most common uses
  for this goop? I think I made more than enough to last for a room full
  of techs. BTW, how did this stuff get it's name anyway?

  --
  Greg Newell
  Greg's Piano Fort=E9

  I as well one night made enough VJ lube to last the rest of my career. =
 It's named for Vick Jackson, a technician who was supposedly well-known =
in the 70's & 80's --maybe he's still out there.  It wasn't all that =
messy.  First you melt Vaseline in a sauce pan, then saturate it with =
(unscented) talc and add lanolin -- I have the proportions somewhere but =
it would take me a while to find.  When well mixed, you let it cool and =
stuff it into film cans or other small portable containers.  I think it =
works great and a little dab'll do ya -- no need to glop it on.  I use =
it on the bushings for damper lifter rods, keyframe guide pins, dags, =
grand action return springs, under the glide bolts, on any trapwork =
springs, the tops of bottoms of pedal rods, the pivot pins of pedals, =
sometimes on areas of "polyester squeak" (two polished surfaces against =
each other), lid hinge pins that are tight, almost anything that =
squeaks, but not on keypins, center pins, or action springs (I usually =
polish the spring and use a pencil in the slot there).  Also not to lube =
the whole keybed for action shift -- there I vacuum first and sparingly =
apply and rub-in unscented talc, just under the front and back rails, =
with a small dab of VJ under the glide bolts, or sometimes graphite or =
teflon powder.  Squeaky key bushings where the pin is wearing felt down =
to the glue or wood get powdered teflon (temporarily, until they can be =
rebushed), since VJ would be a bit heavy or thick for keypins.  Squeaky =
spoons also get powdered teflon.  I've used VJ on the glides or channels =
for sliding fallboards, as a temporary silencer of squeaky pedal lyres, =
lyre braces, and also on screws to make them go in easier, if I don't =
have Door-Ease or beeswax on hand. =20
      Sometime in the late 70's, many manufacturers went from quality =
wood screws to those thin, sharp-threaded, sharp-pointed, trumpet head =
Phillips ones that look like drywall screws, and they ran them in with =
power drivers and no lube.  Sometimes these are hell and probably =
wrist-damaging to get out.  I always put VJ lube on them before putting =
'em back in.
      I'd guess one film can lasts me from 3 to 5 years (?).   =
Sincerely, David Nereson