removing bridge pins that have been EPOXIED!!!!!

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:03:05 -0600

At 10:22 03/16/2001 -0600, you wrote:

>Hey Ron,
>                What a sales feature, especially if we could get it to glow
>in the dark, just like a neuclear fuel rod cooling pond.
>Have forgotten the effect of gamma on carbon, (graphite) but trust me not
>nice.
>Roger

The earliest control rods for nuclear reactors were graphite because of its
propensity to soak up neutrons and thus limit (or control, hence the name)
the nuclear chain reaction. They don't glow.  Gamma is ionizing radiation
and will heat up anything it hits.

ex-nuke Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
What if there were no hypothetical questions?