Micrometers

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:13:57 -0500

List,

My choice in a micrometer is either a Starrett 220 Mul-T-Anvil analog mic or
the model 790 digital Mul-T-Anvil mic (if you have the bucks or the need to
switch back and forth between English and Metric).  These mics aren't cheap
but you can get a really good deal on them if you keep an eye on the used
tool auctions while the new ones (available from any good machinist supply
or Pianotek in our industry) will easily last a lifetime and then some.

The main advantages to the mul-t-anvil design is that you can measure
strings in the piano while they're still up to tension.  The thin anvil on
the head allows this measurement which is great for scale evaluation.
Replacing the flat anvil with a round one allows you to measure the
thickness of the wall of a tube.  The notched anvil allows you to measure
the thickness of a bolt or screw head. One of the best uses I've found is to
remove the anvil and clamp which allows me to use the mic as a micrometer
height gauge on the router table or the table saw.  You can find
descriptions of these on Machinist Supply Company's (MSC) website at:
http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=2088

For me the micrometer is something I use so often that I want the best that
I can get my hands on.  Strings, center pins, bridge pins, etc. all need to
be measured individually to be sure the right item is in the labeled
package.  I use the digital caliper as well but just don't find it quite
accurate enough for the jobs when I use the mic.

Another great tool on the micrometer family is the depth micrometer.  Great
tool for checking plate height and such.  There again, keep an eye out for
the deals and you can really come out ahead.  You can check these at:
http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=2102

On the subject of digital versus analog: the digital mics are great
(although more expensive) and are indispensable if you need to switch
between English and Metric systems.  I've found that my digital caliper is
great when checking regulation specs on an action.  Switching back and forth
between Metric and English here is especially useful.  The analog mics are
really easy to use once you get used to reading them.  The instructions are
included or this is a good idea for a chapter technical.

Hope this helps a little.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Director - TEAM2001
July 11-15, 2001 - Reno, NV
agilreath@mindspring.com
http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm
Director: Laura Olsen, RPT
Assistant Directors: Allan Gilreath, RPT - Gary Neie, RPT - Dale Probst, RPT