The Bad News

Daniel Lindholm lindholm.daniel@home.se
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:13:04 +0100

As a very talented tuner once said to me:

A good ear to hear intervals doesnt make a good tuner. Most of the work =
is within the actual use and handling of the tuning lever. I like to =
look around at piano stores/music shops and I've heard this 'buy an ETD =
and tune your piano yourself' several times actually. I feel sorry for =
the ones that buys this talk, since owning a good ETD doesnt make you a =
good tuner (not by far).

Think back to the time when you begun learning to tune the piano. Wich =
part was hardest? Be honest! It wasnt the listening part, was it?=20

A serious pianist doesnt have the time to learn how to tune the piano. =
Not even with an ETD, since he or she will most likely end up realizing =
that setting the pin alone, is a really hard thing to do. That will make =
the pianist end up tuning instead of playing.

Furthermore: The pianists I know wont just let anyone to fiddle inside =
their piano. The last person they would let inside it is probably =
themselves.

As long as there is real pianos who needs pianotuners, there will always =
be work for us, but just like the market for digital pianos have =
'stolen' parts from the traditional ones, this will probably happend =
with the tuning in some degree. I doubt however that it will be as big.

Tuning a piano isnt a thing you can just learn how to do by getting an =
ETD, and that will probably many of the ones who try realize after =
breaking some part/string.=20

Daniel Lindholm / Stockholm Sweden