The Bad News, etc.

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:21:21 EST

In a message dated 3/18/01 6:45:54 PM Central Standard Time,
crbrpt@bellatlantic.net writes:

> My most loyal customers are those who have tried to tune their own pianos.

This is about how I feel. This whole discussion about pianist learning to
tune their own piano should be looked on by professional piano tuners as a
means to increase business, not take it away. I encourage people who call and
ask for tuning hammers, tuning forks, advice on tuning the piano, etc. I get
rewarded handsomely by the people with whom I spend a few minutes talking
about how to tune a piano, or from whom I make a few dollars selling tuning
instruments. Sooner or later they all realize there is much more to tuning a
piano than turning the pin. And for the few who actually do learn to do it
themselves, they become piano tuners, and join the ranks, and the PTG.

So why discourage these people? If Mr. Widener can make a few bucks selling
his ETD, and if the professor feels good about writing his dissertation on
the web, more power to them. Bring it on. We can use the extra work.

Willem