It Doesn't Matter

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:46:16 EST

In a message dated 3/20/01 12:33:29 AM Central Standard Time,
LHSBAND440@AOL.COM writes:

> If the PTG really wanted to put there Letters (RPT) where their mouth is,
> they would let any tuner tune by any means possible.  Believe it or not,  I
> know a person who tunes his own piano with a self made hammer and golf tees
> for mutes and I would bet that he would be able to tune circles around some
> of you who have passed the tunning test.  To the PTG it is not the final
> result but more or less beloning to the brotherhood. In the real world it
> is

I think it's shameful that so many people chose to mock you rather than
pointing out the misconceptions you have about PTG.  *Anyone* may join PTG.
*No one* is *required* to take and pass the exams.   PTG does not dictate any
methods of piano tuning whatsoever.  The closest it comes is an affirmation
of the universal acceptance of A-440 as Standard Pitch but does not *require*
anyone to adhere to it.

Yes, there are lots of opinions expressed, lots of methodology discussed and
there most definitely are standards for taking and passing the exams but that
is only if the individual desires the status of having the earned title,
Registered Piano Technician.  While the material in the Written exam, the
procedures in the Technical Exam and the standards and requirements of the
Tuning Exam all are based on a consensus of knowledge built up for a half
century by PTG Members, PTG itself cannot and does not dictate any standards
for the way any individual is to conduct business.

The only standard PTG does have which applies to all Members, Associates and
RPT's alike, is the vaguely worded requirement that an individual adhere to
the same norms of ethical conduct expected of anyone in society.

The person you speak of who, on his own, learned to tune using self
fabricated tools is a good example of the kind of person it actually does
take to be a good piano technician:  a self starter, a high degree of
motivation, the kind of mind that is eager to innovate and invent.  It is
possible that this person could pass the PTG Exams but not very likely unless
he has also learned a thorough set of technical skills to compliment his
tuning skills.

50% of all first time PTG Exam applicants fail.  Among these, many are people
who consider themselves to be professionals and many have been at it for many
years, sometimes even decades.  It is very difficult for both the applicant
and the Examiners to accept the results of a failed Exam.  Some try many
times and just never do pass but most learn where their deficiencies are,
where the gaps in their set of knowledge and skills are and go on to fill
those gaps by attending classes and working with others who are only glad to
help.

The passing of the Exams demonstrates the ability of a technician to meet
certain requirements and standards.  Some people just barely meet these but
once they have, they have earned the right to the title as long as they keep
their Membership.  Most RPT's however, see the title merely as a milestone of
achievement and go on to create far higher standards for themselves and for
everyone else too.

You and the person you spoke of have the perfect right to conduct business as
you see fit whether you are PTG Members or not.  As long as you do not break
laws or conduct business in a way which would be legally challengeable in
court, no one has any right to tell you what you can or cannot do.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin