FMV appraisal of your business

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:55:59 -0500

yo, list:

Who here has had to come up with a Fair Market Appraisal of their
business? (For instance, in a divorce situation?)

The physical aspects are easy.  A thorough inventory of all
machinery/tools, all merchandise/materials, and all "raw material and
on their side" pianos, with some mutually agreed upon basis for
resale value.

Murkier is the customer list. Were that list to be sold what are the
chances that the buyer would be successful in getting the people on
that list to transfer their allegiance from the technician of long
standing to this newcomer, even with the best efforts of the seller
in this transition. And based on an anticipated "nominal failure
rate", how much of the value of that list be discounted.

Further yet is the issue that the main ingredient in this business in
manual labor, however skilled. Presumably buyer this business would
have skills comparable to the seller, or he would soon find all of
his accounts (for both service and rebuilding) leaving. Also, the
capacity for the manual labor required and the tolerance for the long
hours of self-employed people have to be a given in the buyer. All of
this shrinks the pool of potential buyers, lessens the demand for the
deal being offered, and depresses the price.

Further yet is the fact that while the proud new owner of this
business would in the best of circumstances have a customer list
already established and physical means (shop equipment etc.) to make
his/her own dream come true, ie. being a self-employed piano
technician doing a broad spectrum of work in a bucolic rural setting,
most of the benefits of this dream are *not* financial. Remind
ourselves again, are we in this business for the money? If we were,
could we say that we were in the right business?

Given this fact that the rewards are not entirely financial, would an
astute buyer bid down the business's purchase price correspondingly?

There's plenty on this discussion for open discussion by the list.
Those of you who have actually been through this process (FMV
appraisal of your business, under any circumstances) may reply
privately as to how the appraisal was based, and how that work out
for you.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"The law gets you into everything. It's the ultimate backstage pass.
It's the new priesthood"
     ...........Al Pacino in "Devil's Advocate"