It Doesn't Matter

Fri, 23 Mar 2001 22:27:24 +0100

Greg this is a choice you no doubt gonna have to make on your own.... but I would
throw out the following for your consideration. Working for a University full time, or
nearly so is in many ways like going over to a 9 to 5 job. Not in every way mind you,
but there is a routine involved that is lacking from a free lancers life. Make sure
that the chalanges and opportunities to contribute and create something for the
University and the students that are to study through the years of your tenure are
enough to offset this change. (assuming you dont welcome that routine aspect as
well.... grin)

I made exactly this change... it has been somewhat difficult because it means putting
what I was building in terms of my shop and learning rebuilding on ice,,, or at least
on a cold back burner. At the same time our Music Department is kind of a cozy bunch,
and we are becoming sort of family as time goes by. Next year I am to start teaching a
sort of begginers course in piano tech work for pianists.  I guess you could call it
"every thing a serious pianist should know about the instrument he / she makes a
liveing on" course. Largely my design, tho I am getting some great advice from several
participants around the globe.... this list is great aint it ??

Anyways... Good luck with your decision. I certainly wish you the best of things
either way.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.