Red Chinese Pianos-From a Chinese technician

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:35:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Joe,

I have read your post, I hope I didn't misunderstand
you.My experience living in two different countries
tells me that misunderstanding easily happen between
people with different culture background.

>From your post I would guess that you never been to
China,or probably never been to a country with
different culture from USA.Having been living in China
for more than 30 years,I am sorry to tell you  that
your Imagine is totally different from  a real China.

Just aauming that the sale of aborted baby as healthy
food is legil(of course it's unlawful in any
country!!),do you believe that a person without mental
problem will pay money and eat the baby??

I would rather think that most the reporters working
for the medias are reality and honest,I mean,most of
the problems you mentioned could happened somewhere in
such a big country,but we can not conclude that it's
happening  everywhere all over the country, make the
country so worse as for making bad pianos!
As a developing country,China does has many
problems,some of them are serious,such as laid-off
workers,coraptions,controll of populations.
What is real China looks like? the best way to know
the country is to to see by oneself.

Let's come back and talk about pianos and piano
workers in China.
In China,piano workers are regarded as skilled
workers, earning higher salary. Workers are glad to
get a job in piano factory,no one is forced to work
for a piano factory in China,just like no one is
forced to work for Bill Gates in USA!

>From early 1980's piano has sudenlly become popular
and in great demands,before that,piano is thought as
"foreign instruments".In less than 20 years,China has
made about 1,000,000 pianos,most of the pianos are
for domestic use because the quality is not so
qualified
to em-port at large amount.In recent years,Chinese
piano factory imported some equipments from Europe and
other countries,hired some foreign experts,the piano
is becoming better and better.

Best!

Baoli Liu
(former) associated professor of Shenyang Conservatory
of Music, P. China
visiting scholar at the School of Music,UW-Madison,USA