Spurlock shimming method.

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 7 May 2001 10:19:33 EDT

In a message dated 5/07/2001 8:29:19 AM, Ron N. wrote:

<<"A soundboard isn't in any way the surface of a balloon.">>

Never said it was exactly...... what I 'did' say was "The analogy ain't
perfect but merely a reasonable facsimile :-)"
And the top surface of a soundbaord does expand and contract. as does the
surface of a ballon...if'n it didn't?............. how doe the sucker gain
and lose crown?....Or form "pressure ridges"? Or accumulate "compression
damage"?

<<"Rims are not arch buttresses, and do not form or maintain
soundboard crown.">>
"arch buttresses do not form or maintain" anything either they merely hold
something in place by providing resistance.....anything held in place by a
"buttress" will react to that "buttress" within the limits of that "butress"
and the characteristics of the material being held. If you take your flat
ribbed ,flat paneled, sounboard and stick it in your hot box and 'not'
restrain it in some way after it is taken out.....all you will have is a flat
board that basically gets hotter and cooler 'without much' change vis a vis
crown.
  On the other hand if you take that flat ribbed, flat paneled
sounboard...stick it in your hot box....take it out and 'immediately'
restrain it with either "flying buttresses" or a rim assembly the sucker
'will' change drastically vis a vis crown...............now I'm jus a po ole
mud boy but dat says to me dat de "flying buttress", or the rim assembly,
certainly do play a hugely large part in the crowning of boards.........don't
it?

<<"Read Del's articles. Read the extensive and voluminously detailed
discussions of just these things in the archives.">>

 Done that, been there, and while I agree wholeheartedly with most of what
Del has to say........... the archives show just as much dis-cohesiveness of
"the extensive and voluminously detailed discussions" and thoughts as they
did originally and are displaying currently. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)