touchweight analysis

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 9 May 2001 22:19:14 -0400

On Wed, 09 May 2001, Richard Brekne <rbrekne@broadpark.no> wrote

>Bill Ballard wrote:
>  > It doesn't matter whether you adjust the leverage by moving the
>  > capstans or the knuckles, the re-hung action will require a deeper
>  > dip and possibly a a shorter blow. I'd go figure the capstans, be
>  > cause a mm error in the cap line will be magnified far less than one
>  > in the knuckle mounting
>  >

>Bill,  you mind clarifying this a bit... It certainly would seem to matter
>whether you change leverage from knuckle move or a cap'n'heel move... at
>least from a friction standpoint... action spread ??... I certainly
>understand that either will affect key dip neccessities...

Actually, I can't put it any clearer than you have. Thank you for
making the point that the friction caused by the hammer weight
bearing on the knuckle will be reduced by increasing the knuckle
mounting distance. Action spread doesn't get changed, although the
likelihood of a straight line along the back of the jack at rest and
the knuckle core is put in doubt. (Depending on how important that is
in your scheme of things.)

The bottom line is that flakiness in execution is far less forgivable
at the knuckle than at the capstan.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.