perfect pitch in animals

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Fri, 11 May 2001 08:05:40 -0400 (EDT)

> Anyone ever run across this phenomenon of an animal seemingly having the
> ability to recognize pitch?

Yes! A friend of mine had a dog that would sing along (by howling)
whenever my friend played a certain Beethoven piece that he learned as a
child. The piece begins with a single note. When my friend sat down at
the piano, he could play any note on the piano except that note and the
dog would not react. When he played that note, the dog started singing and
would continue singing throughout the piece!

Charles Neuman