Sharp organ

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 13 May 2001 21:08:43 -0400

My problem was that the organ is tuned somewhere around 430.

They want to play the organ with the piano for a performance.
Themn they want to use the piano in accompaniment with hand bells at 440.
Then back with the organ, then back with the hand bells. I gave up that gig.

Then organ people tell them that they would have to make considerable
alterations
in pipe lengths to alter "voicing".  I came in a few days after one of
their 'tuning' and
was appalled, no amount of temperature or humidity fluctuation could
account for
those dreadful intervals.  I pointed it out to their organist, but what do
I know, I'm just a piano tuner.

I was present in another church when the tuning was being done. One guy on
the console,
the other guy with a Conn pitch generator in the pipe chamber. No brain, no
pain; I guess.
I mentioned about an SAT, RCT (all there was at the time) and received a
blank stare.
Hearing protection would be my first priority in this situation.

I attempted to help an another organist by  'touching-up' the mix (little
did I know what that was).
After finding it and tending to those little whistles I would never do it
again without hearing protection.

I though piano tuners were nuts, these guys are really out there...

Regards,

Jon Page