Larudee's mystery - Was: Ditch the tuning pin bushings

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:38:19 -0400

Paul, Joe-

Joe, it sounds to me as though Paul is describing something different.
Paul, I guess we could find out your special reason directly from you, or
by getting in touch with one of two Davids.  I'm not clear on the
engineering, however, for starts the implication here is that the benefit
of the smaller pin resides in its smaller string coils rather than the
total surface area in contact with the block.  I'm not clear as to why you
would want additional stiffness in that area of the pin unless you think
the pins are being pulled forward due to insufficient surface area (part of
pin in the block itself) or due to excessive flexing.   If you are talking
about repinning with these, two problems come to mind:
1) Given the current discussion of pins already in contact with the plate,
it seems to me you would have a bit of a problem installing them, unless
you were to drive them in from the bottom of the block.  That would
certainly be something to write about.
2) As a few on this topic have mentioned, and with whom I agree,  a small
degree of flex is a useful fine tuning tool.  It would seem that, by
stiffening the pin up to the coils, and then reducing the size at the top,
you would be directing the flex force to one, already weakened area of the
pin (string hole).

Share your thought, and how much did you pay for them (the pins, that is)?

David Skolnik