3M sandpaper

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 16 May 2001 20:56:42 -0400

FYI, I sanded through my Oxford PSL in a couple spots to bare wood. I
stained the wood, let dry for 15 minutes or so (outside - 90 degrees, 40% RH
and breezy). Applied four coats Oxford PSL over bare spot with sponge brush,
letting dry approximately 20 minutes between coats. Sanded with 600 grit 3M
fre-cut gold, then 800, then buffed to a nice satin with grey scotch-bright.
Staining, four coats of finish, sanding, and hand buffing was all done
within 2 hours start to finish. The repair/touch-up is invisible. I'm not
suggesting this is a good schedule to follow for a whole refinishing job,
but merely pointing out that the stuff does dry real fast and sands nicely
after only a short dry period.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Kenny" <kennys@kennyguitars.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: 3M sandpaper

Hello,
I spoke with a technician at target coatings not too long ago, and he
recommended waiting one week before wet sanding, and two weeks before dry
sanding the oxford premium spray lacquer.  For those who don't know, this is
a water based product.  He said that waiting two weeks and dry sanding is
ideal.  Hope this helps.
Colin Kenny