Is Bigger Better?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 21 May 2001 13:08:07 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/01 7:10:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> So there is the question. I don't play piano, so I don't have very good
> direct input/thoughts on the subject. Is bigger necessarily better (similar
> pianos otherwise), i.e. is a M&H BB a lot nicer piano than a model A for a
> home studio use? She is a good player and continuing to take lessons - her
> desire is to obtain a piano that sounds good and has an action, etc. that
> will not limit her (and her student's) playing development.
>
> Any thoughts?

When I had my Mason A for sale, a piano prof from a college said he liked
everything about the piano, except it just didn't have that 7' bass sound. I
am not a piano player either, but there is something about the bass sound of
a 7', that just can't be duplicated in anything shorter than that.

Someone on the list made a similar comment. From about middle C, or there
about, there really isn't much difference in string length and sound between
a short piano, (5'6"), and a large grand. It is in the bass that bigger is
much better.

Willem

PS, I have a 7' Baldwin, all ready to go, with a very big bass sound, and a
terrific treble sound. I will deliver it free anywhere. Asking $25,000, but
will consider a good offer.