Kids and Pianos [was Re: Scaling problem]

Mon, 21 May 2001 10:05:51 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Z! Reinhardt" <diskladame@provide.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 21, 2001 8:07 AM
Subject: Kids and Pianos [was Re: Scaling problem]

> OK -- I got off the subject a little by talking about used pianos.  But,
> I've seen/heard the same thing happen around new pianos.  The parents
select
> the piano for the kids in their absence, then expect the kids to practice
> without question because it is a new piano.  The parents are concerned
with
> how it looks (and how cheaply they can have that look) whereas the kids
are
> more interested in how it sounds and feels.  I've often wondered how many
of
> these parental piano selections would have been vetoed by the kids, if the
> kids were there to voice an opinion.
>
> Just a couple of weeks ago, I urged a family to upgrade to a better piano,
> and to bring their daughter to select something she is comfortable with.
> "Oh yes yes, that is a good idea.  I think she will like that."  Makes me
> wonder how much of an input she had (if any) in selecting the current
piano,
> which is beneath her playing skills.

This is incredibly good advice! It goes along with my own recommendation
that person who will be playing the piano -- unless, I suppose, that person
is a complete novice -- be prepared to play any instrument for as long as
necessary to make an informed opinion of its sound and action performance
before signing on the dotted line. If that person happens to be nine years
old, so what? The advice still stands regardless of the market range of the
piano or the impatience of the salesperson. Or parents, for that matter.

Regards,

Del