Water damage

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 May 2001 09:19:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/01 7:38:09 AM Central Daylight Time, ted@yourlink.ne=
t=20
writes:

> Yesterday I received a phone call from our local college informing me that
> their Stage piano, a Steinway D, was stored beneath an air-conditioning
> water line and the line burst flooding the piano.  I hurried over to the
> college and inspected the piano.  There was water all over the soundboard
> and some students were sopping it up with paper towels.  The damper felts
> were drenched and were coming unglued.  I removed the action and found the
> backcheck leathers unglued, the rebound felts soaked but not coming unglue=
d,
> and the hammers were wet but intact. I propped the dampers up off the
> strings and raised the hammers hoping all will dry in a few days.
>=20
> My question is this:  can the leathers and felts be re-used after they dry=
?
> Also, although there was no rust showing on the strings, how can I convinc=
> them that all the strings should be replaced?  I don=B9t know what to thin=
> about the condition of the pinblock.  The insurance company will cover the
> cost, so I guess they are the ones that have to be convinced.  Any other
> advice you can provide will be most welcome.
>=20
> Ted Simmons
> Merritt Island, FL
>=20
>=20

Ted

In my opinion, the insurance company needs to pay for a complete restoration=
=20
of this instrument, including a new board, block and strings, new action=20
action. It might be best to ship it to Steinway in New York, unless you, or=20
someone you know has the capability to do this work.=20

Anything less than a complete rebuilding job will not be fair to the college=
.=20
They pay insurance to insure that inventory which is damaged can be replaced=
,=20
or repaired, to it's original condition. There is no way that just drying ou=
t=20
is going to do that. The insurance company must pay to restore that=20
instrument, or buy a new one.=20

I have dealt with enough insurance companies to know that they will try to=20
save even $100 on a claim. They will try to say what needs to be done, and=20
what shouldn't be done. Not because they know about pianos, but because they=
=20
want to save money.=20

Willem=20