Hammer Staples

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sat, 26 May 2001 20:31:07 +0200

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> .. and that it makes it easier to *reshape* hammers using the shoe
> shine technique.>>
>
> Richard;
>  By this statement are you inferring/implying/ suggesting/stating/or
> announcing that hammer staples get in the way when using the "shoe shine
> technique" on hammers?
>  We gotta watch 'new' techs with only 30 years experience! :-)

Grin.... you seem intent on this "new" thingy- ma-concept for some reason... just
what is it we are getting at ehhhh???.. :) But when you first mention it... it
kinda feels nice knowing there are folks out there...looking out for me..hehe.

As far as the staple / shoe shine... I suppose if you go with like 3-4 hammers at
time, ala what I saw Laroy demonstrate some years back they might not be such a
bother.. But I use an emory cloth strip narrow enough to do one at a time, and I
pull from where the felt begins towards the top,,, finishing with a little tuft
that I buff off... at the end. Staples definately eat up the emory cloth when
reshaping in this fashion.

But I have heard from several in the past that staples are routinely removed to
make reshaping hammers an easier process..... Something about that particular
reason always bothered me so.

> Jim Bryant (FL)

I always get accused of using waaaayyyyy to much time reshaping hammers. Typically
takes me about 4 hours for a really badly worn set. But I end up with a really
uniform and nice shape..so I guess I gota be happy with that.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.