hammer staples

Robert A. Anderson fandango@dakotacom.net
Mon, 28 May 2001 15:22:16 -0700

To my post about broken hammer staples Richard Brekne wrote:

"How old was this piano Bob ?... and what would you say caused
the hammers
too loosen in the first place ?"

About 10-15 yrs old. My guess, and I emphasize "guess" is glue-starved
joints. This happened about 18 months ago. I haven't been called back,
so I assume no more have popped loose (unless the customer got rid of
the piano). My memory is a little vague, but I think I reglued them with
Titebond. The reglued hammers didn't sound any worse than the others,
although this was a pretty mediocre piano to start with. What impressed
me was that there was enough energy stored in the hammer felt to break
the staples.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ