Removing Underfelt

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:03:25 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/01 2:23:14 PM Central Daylight Time, doepke@fwi.com
writes:

> What is the preferred method of removing the underfelt when replacing a set
> of dampers?  Is it scraping, or sanding, or...other?
> The dampers peel right off, but leave the red felt on the wooden block.
> Thank you.
>
> Brian Doepke

Brian

I put all my dampers on a rack made of peg board material. The top board,
about 18" x 24" is separated from the bottom board, (the same size) by four
1" x 6" boards, about 6" long.

With the dampers sitting in the holes, I take the whole tray into the shower,
or if you have it, you can get a spray attachment for a wash bowl or slop
sink. Spray the dampers, felt and all, with very hot water. Be sure all the
dampers are really soaked. After about 10 or 15 minutes, the dampers,
underfelt and all, will come off very easy with a knife. Most of them just
fall off.

By spraying them with water, it also cleans the damper heads. It doesn't have
any effect on the damper wires. I usually let them sit for at least 3 or 4
hours (I usually wait overnight), to make sure they are good and dry. The
rack also makes it easy to spray them, or if needed, clean them with naphtha
and steel wool to get contaminates and/or dirt of the heads.

Willem