Running CA

Tom Dickson td_tuner@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:45:27

Hi, Folks!

   I agree that a tilter is the way to go for getting ready to "C.A." the
pins.  Don's point, as I understand it, is that the piano needs to be left
for a day or so.  Obviously, we are not there to supervise the situation, so
who knows?  Kids crawl underneath, people bump into it, etc.   How much will
the tilter take?  And, what if metal fatigue happens to "set in" just when a
piano is sitting on the tilter overnight?  Some might say paranoid, but...

   Personally, I would prefer to have something under the "corners" of the
upright which is laying down.  There are supports for cars, jacks for
R.V.'s, or home-made wooden supports which could be placed under the piano,
at the corners.  If these are snug to the piano, then there is less chance
of movement starting which could negatively stress the tilter.

   Benefits would be that the piano is more stable, the tilter is less
vulnerable, and I will sleep much better knowing that my bases are covered!

   Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Tom Dickson,
Regina, SK, Canada

>From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
>To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Subject: Re: Running CA
>Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:06:24 -0400
>
>Yes, and perhaps you will find yourself "praying" that two people other
>than
>yourself will be lifting it back up! Especially the old uprights, they can
>sure get pretty heavy - a good tilter really pays its way here!
>
>Terry Farrell

(Snip)