Keyboard frame question

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:21:00 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "jolly roger" <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 21, 2001 10:41 PM
Subject: RE: Keyboard frame question

> >Interesting idea to use minute Epoxy, Roger, do you mix some graphite
powder
> >or Teflon in this, I may admit I would be afraid of squeaks or absence of
> >friction there, and minute epoxy is not very hard ?
> >Regards.
> >Isaac
>
> Hi Isaac,
>               The depression has to be corrected, or else you have bedding
> problems when the unicorda is used.  The epoxy is probably harder then the
> dowels, so no problems have occured there.   For lub I rub a light coat of
> parafine wax, also seems very durable.  No squeek problems encountered.
> As to friction, if I had to guess, I would say it was less than the end
> grain of the dowels.

Quick curing epoxy is not as hard as the slower types such as WEST System or
System Three, but it is still quite hard. As Roger points out, it is
probably harder than any wood you'll find there. Even end-grain maple. Of
course, if the piano is equipped with end-grain maple plugs in the keybed
you probably won't be doing this repair.

This is also our repair of choice in these situations. Since ours are always
done in the shop we are able to mix graphite powder in with the epoxy. (I've
not tried mixing Teflon powder in there, but why not?) Still, it's a good
idea to dab just a bit of lubricant on there. In either case we have never
encountered any squeaking problem. Or wear problems.

Del