Yamaha Quits Schaff

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:43:29 -0400

Dear List.

Has anyone one tried to order Yamaha tools or parts from Schaff
recently. Apparently, Yamaha will no longer supply anything under its
brand name, to Schaff. Existing back orders are being honored but no
further orders are being taken. Yamaha expects to finish out all
deliveries to Scaff by the end of November.

That's got to hurt Schaff. I could understand if it were just the
materials (damper felts, front rail punchings, etc.). Yamaha is
experiencing the same squeeze in retails sales as Steinway did, and
its first move is to make sure that genuine Yamaha parts are not
going into gray market pianos. I'll be a little sad that Yamaha
dampers felts will be no longer available for say a small
Mason&Hamlin grand. But tools? That's a serious marketing mistake.
Once in a tool box of course , the brand name tools would be used on
everything, even old Estey uprights. But the technician who had
bought them would have developed a brand name loyalty for them.

The times, they are a-changing.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Out here on the food chain, you either