stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 02 Sep 2001 22:32:21 -0500

>    OK, Ron. I'll try this again.
>
> 1).   I habitually do two pass tunings, ( usually because the piano is off
>more than 3 or 4 cents from concert pitch.) But! I don't always find it
>necessary to do so, nor do I charge extra for two passes on pianos on which
>the customer is really interested in maintaining.
>
>2). Yes, I use an ETD for almost all pitch raises, but I will do some
>aurally, kind of as a test, just to keep my ears sharp. When the fancy
>strikes me.
>
>3).On the other hand, I will not hesitate to charge extra for serious
>neglect. Otherwise I am encouraging the future neglect of the instrument,
>and doing extra work without compensation. After all, why should I charge
>the same on an instrument which hasn't been tuned in ten years, as one I see
>regularly.

That's more like what I was after with my question. With so many ETD users
citing the effortless and supremely accurate pitch raise as a benefit for
using an ETD, and at the same time saying they habitually did two pass
tunings, while charging extra for pitch corrections, I was looking for some
sort of rational justification for the extra charge when it didn't seem, by
the users' reports, to involve substantially more work. A punitive charge
for neglect is what it seems to render down to, which adequately answers my
question.

Thanks for the response,

Ron N