stability of pitch raises (Ron's question)

Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:28:23 -0700

Ron:

I would not say the ETD eliminates the work of a pitch raise.  Rather, it
helps to calculate the overpull so that when you are done it is within a few
cents and the fine tuning requires little further change in pitch, though
not less work to fine tune.  The extra charge is for the extra time involved
in the pitch raise itself, it is not a punitive charge.

Everyone talks about how fast they can do a tuning/pitch raise.  I can do it
very fast too if I have to, but I don't feel the need to break my arm to
prove it to anyone just so that I can charge them less.  My fee is based, to
some degree, on what time frame the job should be completed in at a
reasonable pace.  If I work a little faster or slower I don't adjust the fee
accordingly.  Flat rating, I believe is the term.  For tuning I think it is
a fair way to operate.  Other more complex procedures may have different
requirements.

David Love