ETDs & Non-Equal Temperaments

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:43:09 EDT

mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com (Farrell) writes:

> What procedures (aural checks, prayers, waiting for proper planetary
> alignment, etc.) do ETD users use when tuning non-equal temperaments to
> ensure a good tuning for the subject piano (check octaves and let it go at
> that?)? I know some often tune spinets with various non-ET temperaments and
> these especially need proper checks. Aside from learning to tune these
> non-ET temperaments well by ear (which, of course would be the best way -
> but hey, I'm only human) how does anyone go about this? Tips, tricks,
> techniques?

I've written about this many times over.  There is no "hocus-pocus" to it
such as your "planetary alignment" phrase implies.  It is so surprisingly
simple that I have had no qualms about calling it "Mindless Octaves".  I
developed the method when I was still tuning ET back in the early 1980's and
continued it when I started exploring the HT's and on to the development of
the EBVT.  Steve Fairchild RPT uses basically the same approach.

I have absolutely no use whatsoever for any programmed tuning curve because
what I do is better, far and away better.  It goes right to the heart of why
the scale is tempered to begin with and uses the piano's own inharmonicity to
determine exactly the compromise I make.  Again, it is so easy and simple
that I think of it as *mindless* because I can tune aurally with the same
accuracy and consistency as I can with an ETD whether it is the first or last
tuning of the day, whether I am tired or not feeling well.

I've published the entire explanation and process on this List and offered it
more than a few times privately.  But of course, there are the many who
dismiss what I have to say out of hand and delete before reading.  That's
your problem, not mine.  My only question about the Verituner is whether it
can do what I do.  If it can, it would be worth purchasing, mainly because of
its compact size and long battery life.  Until I know the answer to that, the
SAT II suits me just fine.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin