Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 09:02:26 -0400

Hmmm. Now there is an interesting point I can relate to:

"As Wim pointed out, it may well have been the best the customer could =
do and was originally very happy cloth ears and all. Now he's filled =
with anxiety over his newly acquired buyer's remorse."

As justified as I think I may be, your point should definately be =
considered. Maybe the analogy should be: What to tell and what not to =
tell your wife about your old girlfriends (and vice-versa)!

Thanks for the input. That is the first thing to really make me stop and =
think hard (about this topic).

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 11:35 PM
  Subject: Re: Killer Octave - Warranty Issue?

  Terry,=20
      I can see your point a little, but coming from a car background =
your analogy doesn't work. If you had a badly seated exhaust valve =
performance would suffer all throughout "the scale" not just in one RPM =
"killer octave" range. I do feel that a brand new product should have no =
blatant problems but again I come back to what I wrote earlier. As Wim =
pointed out, it may well have been the best the customer could do and =
was originally very happy cloth ears and all. Now he's filled with =
anxiety over his newly acquired buyer's remorse. Just food for thought.=20
  Greg=20

  Farrell wrote:=20

    Hi Willem. I don't agree with you (although my stand on that is =
fairly soft), but I do appreciate your willingness to express a =
differing opinion. Do you still feel that way considering that the piano =
is still under warranty? Part of my reasoning in mentioning the false =
beats to him is that the entire top two octaves were impossible to tune =
to get a clear sound. My fear is that someone will play this piano, play =
up high, and think "oh, my - I thought you just had this piano tuned - =
it sounds horrible up here". He called me to tune his piano and I cannot =
tune 25% of the notes anywhere near my standards. I feel reluctant to =
walk away without explaining why. If you knew nothing about cars, and =
brought your car in for a tuneup. You didn't really notice how bad the =
thing runs until your neighbor went up to the grocery store with you an =
commented about it. They guy tunes it up as best he can, but it is still =
miss-firing a bit because of a poorly seating exhaust valve. THE CAR IS =
STILL UNDER WARRANTY. Would you want the mechanic to point this out to =
you? I would. Terry Farrell =20