A terrible day in New York

Thomas A. Sheehan tsheehan@nyc.rr.com
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:30:51 -0400

It's been a terrible day in New York, and it will continue to be a very =
big challenge for weeks and months to come.=20

Today has been the worst day that New York City has ever experienced. =
The
beautiful symbol of the city, the famous Twin Towers of the World Trade
Center, have been totally destroyed, as you know.

Every effort is being made to rescue any survivors. It is thought that
thousands of people have been killed. The subways are running again, but
they are bypassing lower Manhattan.

This afternoon, the streets were filled with people walking home, north =
up
Broadway, 6th Avenue, 5th Avenue, etc. There is not much talking. The =
faces
are very grim.

Grocery stores are open. Food and water is available. Generally, =
electricity
and telephone are working, although all cellular telephone services has =
been
shut down. The main transmitter antenna was on the top of the South =
Tower
(WTC2).

I am OK. I did have a tuning client there: the Marriott World Trade =
Center
Hotel, which was located directly between and at the base of the Twin =
Towers. I would tune pianos for them
every 2 or 3 months.

I can only pray that the people who used to schedule the tuning
appointments with me have survived. They were only young workers in =
their
first "real" job.

It isn't clear yet about how long, and how severely, New York will be =
"shut
down." There is no stock market open; the airports are closed. Schools =
are
closed.

This event is truly an act of war against the United States. I only pray
that we won't see an even more horrific event than what has already
happened.

I am praying for those who have been lost; and for those who are working =
to rescue or recover.=20

New York will go on; there will be music again!!!

As Antares says: Where music is, no harm can be!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best,

Tom