Additional value for an autographed piano???

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 06:51:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Clyde,

I'm not 100% sure, but the piano to which you
refer...

> I service a 6-year-old Steinway 1098 that is
> signed by Henry Steinway.

... might very well be one that was signed by
Henry during the grand opening of <the major
store in your (and my former) area>.  Certainly a
big event locally.

I do remember meeting Henry and watching him sign
a fair number of those pianos.  I even have a
picture of the two of us in front of the concert
grand.

Actually, I would have enjoyed talking with him a
bit more.  The extent of our conversation went
something like this...

Me:  "Do you have any hobbies?"

Henry:  "I like to collect old Steinway
memorabilia."

Me:  "Oh, for some reason, I thought maybe you
might like to hunt or fish."

Henry: (with a bit more enthusiasm)  "We do have
a place in Vermont with some fruit trees, and I
like to take care of them and prune them ---

Interrupted by store owner:  "Mr. Steinway, we'd
like you to meet..."

Just when it was getting interesting, that's
where it ended.

I just had an interest in getting to know the
real man, not the marketing image.  Perhaps our
paths may cross again.?

Added value?  I doubt it.  But it's certainly
noteworthy and perhaps fun to talk about.

Hope you are well, Clyde.  (I miss Pennsylvania.)

Take care,

Brian

=====
Brian Trout