harpsichord and piano forte help

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:42:13 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/01 8:11:27 PM Central Daylight Time, avery@ev1.net
writes:

> Wim,
>
> Welcome to the world of University work! :-) Others have answered your
> harpsichord question so I have just one comment. Make sure your
> harpsichord isn't one that has TWO      pitch levels in addition to the
> A-440 position. We have one but at the time we got it, I'd never
> heard of this. Stupidly, I broke several strings trying to "tune"
> the thing before I realized this. :-( I try to tune ours every
> week or two, even when they're not being used for concerts. Or at
> least, go in and check the pitch levels.
>
> Avery

Avery

Yes, one of the h'chords has a slide out cheek block, which allows the action
to slide over. I made sure it was in place before tuning it. It is a double
keyboard, with three sets of strings. (I beleive that is the Italian
h'chord.) That in itself was difficult to figure out.

I tuned both h'chords again yesterday. One string was broken. Here is what is
interesting. The strings on the h'chords have been broken in three different
places. At the tuning pin, at the strike point, and at the hitch pin. But it
isn't at the loop. It is at the end of the winding. In those cases I was able
to unwind enough of the coil to make a new loop. I can understand a string
breaking at the pin. But why would a string break at the strike point?

Wim