Thank you Bill Ballard

Carol R. Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:49:27 -0400

Thank you for such a reasonable post - and to the many others I have read on
this list the past couple of days.  I myself am too much of a hot head and
always react  poorly to pain.  Only when my pain my more manageable does my
reason come back to me.  A crisis likes this can bring out the best or the
worst in people, and I know myself, that my initial reactions usually bring
out the worst in myself.

We can all be forgiven for our initial reactions.  When cooler heads
prevail, may our country's leaders, news media and people react in a way
that does not continue to degrade humanity.

Carol Beigel

Quote from Bill Ballard:

>Nothing like a hateful act to bring out a hateful response. Actually,
>in the long view of it, this is a historical tide of power. Whoever
>the perpetrators are, they have skillfully used our strength (besides
>an unstoppable economy, a high-speed transportation infra structure)
to their own advantage. This is not a new kind of war, although its
effectiveness has been sharpened to surgical grade. The French didn't
win in Indochina, we didn't either. Nor have the British in Northern
Ireland. The Israelis are getting ground down by their unending state
of war.

Humanity has never won these wars of the indigenous against their
invaders, because war is the wrong response. The conflict between the
fundamentalists and the civil, prosperous industrialized countries
resembles, on a smaller scale, crime seeping into an upscale
neighborhood. Crime is simply a means of rapidly transferring
wealth. The good people of the town bring to bear on the police
constabulary to "git tuff" on crime. The police quite effectively
oblige, at the cost of even hungrier and more resentful criminal
outcasts. The fundamentalist extremists of course have God on their
side (~don't we all). If we have anything to fear it's far more than
an individual Bin Laden, it's the possibility of all the outcasts in
the world (the narco-trafficers, the islamic extremists, the IRA, the
Indonesians) forming their own network and dividing up the world.

Instead, the US should lead in the defense of moral and civil
behavior among nations. The revulsion against this brutal and
barbaric attack is global, and ready to move. But in doing so, this
country should be an example of moral and civil behavior. Our own
instant focus on Bin Laden is misplaced; most non-western nations see
it as the same old same old. Where were we during the butchery of
Bosnia, East Timor or Rwanda. Our focus on Bin Laden also removes a
fundamental stone in our legal system, the presumption of innocence.
What we need now is the kind of quiet intelligence work that the
Israelis have gotten so good at, not the commotion of a cowboy.
What's more, our indictments of the individuals and countries need to
be flawless. So, in its response to this outrage the US needs to
perform well, if we are to get anything near the coalition we had
going into the Gulf War.

But if we see it is a war, we'll never win. The advanced nations are
too vulnerable because of technological infrastructures built on
political stability (like tall buildings which can ordinarily count
on not being run into by airplanes). Instead we must steadfastly
insist on a civilized response to this, one which serves as an
example of the rewards of political stability for the people and
governments among whom these terrorists live. It's a hard sell, and I
can see why this country might prefer to shoot bullets at these
people rather than tell them how they'll benefit from a peaceful
world.

If anyone uses the word war, they use it for their own emotional
purposes, not because it is a long-term winning strategy. But oh God,
what horrific destruction, and murder of people. Those twin towers
went down quicker than the Titanic, and crushing with it what I hear
is the daily number of people, 40-50K.

End of sermon.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.