"Warranty" your tuning

MoodyPiano@AOL.COM MoodyPiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:03:18 EDT

Dear List,

I am a list lurker and enjoy reading posts in the attempts of bettering my=20
ever growing knowledge of pianos, but I am not a piano technician, rather I=20
work with 3 technicians.  I thought that this post might add a little levity=
=20
:-)

A call came in today from a customer who had something "very wrong" with one=
=20
of the notes on her piano.  She had it tuned 2 weeks ago and today one of th=
e=20
notes started "acting funny".  She was quite displeased that her tuning=20
wouldn't hold for "at least a month"  and wasn't there some "warranty" that=20
we apply to tunings.  Now for one out of whack note our technician would go=20
out and take care of it but I also tried to take a moment to explain how=20
weather and other factors can play a part in tuning stability.  My thought=20
was that maybe recent weather changes could have been the problem.  After a=20
brief "education" on how certain things can affect the tuning, I told her=20
that our technician would call her back when he came in.   Upon the return=20
call she received from our technician she was asked to play, over the phone,=
=20
the piano so our technician could understand what her problem was.  She=20
explained that she was a beginner player and was trying to practice the=20
exercises her teacher had given her.  So over the phone she played her first=
=20
exercise (the first four notes of the C chord) C, D, E,  & F.  This sounded=20
good, then she played her second exercise - F, G, A, B.  It was that "darn B=
=20
that had been giving her problem all day long!"  So at our technician's=20
request he had her play the B flat instead of B (F, G, A, B flat).  She=20
exclaimed, "That's how its supposed to sound!"  She had been bugged all day=20
that "her piano wasn't holding its tune" and all it was was an inexperienced=
=20
player playing the wrong notes of an F chord.

But of course, if something isn't right, its the work of the technician :-)

~Lanie
Moody Piano & Organ
Metro West Plaza (rear)
796 Boston Post Road East
Marlborough, MA 01752

Phone 508-877-2222 or 508-229-3601 =E2=80=A2 Fax 508-303-8996
<A HREF=3D"mailto:MoodyPiano@aol.com">MoodyPiano@aol.com</A> =E2=80=A2 <A HR=
EF=3D"http://www.bushellcompanies.com">www.bushellcompanies.com</A>=20