"Warranty" your tuning

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 07:27:25 -0400

Tell your technician he/she was very astute in "nipping this in the =
bud". Player error can account for a multiple of problems, some =
legitimate, but many times a basic understanding is lacking from the =
customer and the call to error is usually the piano is out of tune.=20
Tom Servinsky,RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: MoodyPiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 8:03 PM
  Subject: "Warranty" your tuning

  Dear List,=20

  I am a list lurker and enjoy reading posts in the attempts of =
bettering my ever growing knowledge of pianos, but I am not a piano =
technician, rather I work with 3 technicians.  I thought that this post =
might add a little levity :-)=20

  A call came in today from a customer who had something "very wrong" =
with one of the notes on her piano.  She had it tuned 2 weeks ago and =
today one of the notes started "acting funny".  She was quite displeased =
that her tuning wouldn't hold for "at least a month"  and wasn't there =
some "warranty" that we apply to tunings.  Now for one out of whack note =
our technician would go out and take care of it but I also tried to take =
a moment to explain how weather and other factors can play a part in =
tuning stability.  My thought was that maybe recent weather changes =
could have been the problem.  After a brief "education" on how certain =
things can affect the tuning, I told her that our technician would call =
her back when he came in.   Upon the return call she received from our =
technician she was asked to play, over the phone, the piano so our =
technician could understand what her problem was.  She explained that =
she was a beginner player and was trying to practice the exercises her =
teacher had given her.  So over the phone she played her first exercise =
(the first four notes of the C chord) C, D, E,  & F.  This sounded good, =
then she played her second exercise - F, G, A, B.  It was that "darn B =
that had been giving her problem all day long!"  So at our technician's =
request he had her play the B flat instead of B (F, G, A, B flat).  She =
exclaimed, "That's how its supposed to sound!"  She had been bugged all =
day that "her piano wasn't holding its tune" and all it was was an =
inexperienced player playing the wrong notes of an F chord.=20

  But of course, if something isn't right, its the work of the =
technician :-)=20

  ~Lanie=20
  Moody Piano & Organ=20
  Metro West Plaza (rear)=20
  796 Boston Post Road East=20
  Marlborough, MA 01752=20

  Phone 508-877-2222 or 508-229-3601 =E2=80=A2 Fax 508-303-8996=20
  MoodyPiano@aol.com =E2=80=A2 www.bushellcompanies.com=20