On Reflection

Robert Wilson pianotechnicianuk@yahoo.com
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:58:14 -0700 (PDT)

This evening here in London saw the final concert of
the season of Promenade Concerts at The Albert Hall,
always a big occasion in our calendar.  This year the
conductor was American, Leonard Slatkin.  The
traditional items had all been dropped in view of the
events of this week.  The concert commenced with the
American National Anthem and the American flag was
displayed alongside the Union Jack.  The first item
was the Overture to 'La Forza del Destino' by Verdi.
Following this Leonard Slatkin gave a very moving
speech saying that we all live in a very different
world to the one we inhabited last Monday.

He said that the orchestra met on Wednesday morning to
rehearse and they were all extremely distraught.  They
nevertheless tried to continue and found after playing
the first piece that they did not feel as bad.  Music
had the power to do that.  The concert concluded with
Beethoven's Ninth which seemed just right for the mood
of the evening, and he was right - it was uplifting.
Music really does have an extraordinary power.

I have been reflecting on the events of this week and
I have found that there are times of extreme crisis,
either personal or national, when your work can
sometimes be your best friend.  It helps you to focus
your mind away from the tragedy for a while giving
some respite.  I think that this is especially so in
our case.  Our work is different from most, it is a
discipline, an art - and aren't we lucky people to be
working with pianos?  It has got to be better than
sitting behind a desk in a tower block.  So when we
return to our pianos next week, perhaps we should all
count our blessings,

Thinking of you all,

Bob Wilson.
London.