SOJ

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:34:00 -0400

Ok, where do you think we are going with this one: I got a call yesterday
from a young woman who stated that she was a beginner/intermediate piano
player. She and her dad looked at a Steinway baby grand piano that was 80 or
90 years old. Now she appears a tad ahead of the game (but only a teeny tiny
tad) in that she asked me: "how much is it worth?", which was followed by
"it is in fair condition, and I KNOW it needs REFINISHING" - "and how much
does refinishing cost, because we want it completely redone".

I gave her a very brief lecture about 10,000 little parts, all wood & felt &
leather & compaction & cracks & warping, etc. and finished up with "one of
the services I offer is to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection of the
piano where I remove the action and inspect all the mechanisms and the
strings, bridges, and soundboard, etc. - you may wish to consider scheduling
an appointment." She responded: "OK, thank you very much" - "click".

We'll see. Time will tell. How much you want to bet I get a call 2 months
from now to tune a "completely rebuilt" Steinway baby grand that is all worn
out and has a sloppy non-grain filled finish (hey, maybe even in ebony -
that really has eye-appeal! - Maybe they will even spray the plate gold, and
the tuning pins, and the agraffes, and the strings, and the bridges - boy
the possibilities are endless).

I guess all we can do is to try the best we can when presented the
opportunity to educate someone about the piano - preferably before they have
Mr. Ima Hack "rebuild" their piano.

Terry Farrell