Damper Lever Rebuild (tad long)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:34:03 -0400

And I would have to bend the spoons to meet the lever. I figured putting =
new springs and felt on the old levers would be no more difficult than =
bending damper wires and spoons (and least for me!). Plus, I would save =
$160 bucks in the process, less the cost of a little action cloth and =
springs in the process (it more a matter of principal than efficient =
economics - because I am not charging the client for the lever =
rebuilds). I did put a new flange from Schaff on a lever and it moves =
the whole thing over quite a bit - the reason I tried it was that it did =
not look all that different, but when you actually try to line things =
up, it was off quite a bit. Thanks anyway, plus I need the experience at =
all these little procedures. I've got some old pianos waiting for =
rebuilding, and I know that many of the action parts will need to be =
rebuilt, rather than replaced, because replacements are not available.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 9:16 AM
  Subject: Re: Damper Lever Rebuild (tad long)

  In a message dated 9/25/01 11:28:01 PM Central Daylight Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    To address Wim's comment to replace flanges with=20
    spring - the flanges I have found have an off-centered rail screw =
hole - I=20
    need hole in middle of flange - besides, I kinda want to do this so =
that I=20
    have done the whole thing for experience.=20

  I can understand the experience thing. Good luck. I hope you learn a =
lot from this. As far as the off center hole is concerned, I don't quite =
understand. The damper flanges I have seen have the hole in the middle. =
But even if they are off centered, you can use them, but then adjust the =
damper wire to move the damper head over to the string.  =20

  Wim=20