SOJ

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:36:22 -0400

I think you are right with this one Wim. Following your suggestion would =
have likely provided a better opportunity for educating the person, and =
possibly (small possibly here) a better chance of work from her down the =
road. Thanks.
 =20
Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 9:27 AM
  Subject: Re: SOJ

  In a message dated 9/26/01 7:27:29 AM Central Daylight Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:=20

    I got a call yesterday=20
    from a young woman who stated that she was a beginner/intermediate =
piano=20
    player. She and her dad looked at a Steinway baby grand piano that =
was 80 or=20
    90 years old. Now she appears a tad ahead of the game (but only a =
teeny tiny=20
    tad) in that she asked me: "how much is it worth?", which was =
followed by=20
    "it is in fair condition, and I KNOW it needs REFINISHING" - "and =
how much=20
    does refinishing cost, because we want it completely redone".=20

    I gave her a very brief lecture about 10,000 little parts, all wood =
& felt &=20
    leather & compaction & cracks & warping, etc. and finished up with =
"one of=20
    the services I offer is to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection of =
the=20
    piano where I remove the action and inspect all the mechanisms and =
the=20
    strings, bridges, and soundboard, etc. - you may wish to consider =
scheduling=20
    an appointment." She responded: "OK, thank you very much" - "click". =

  Terry:=20

  What you need to do in the future is answer the question, and not =
expound on more than that. She asked what the piano is worth, and how =
much to refinish it. You should have answered just those two questions. =
"A 90 year old Steinway that needs to be refinished is worth about =
$3,000, and to refinish it is about $4,000." She probably would have =
hung up any way, because all she and her dad want to spend is $300 on a =
piano, and pay $400 to have it refinished. But that is another story.=20

  If she is still interested, then approach the subject of having it =
inspected. Then at the appraisal, talk to her about what needs to be =
done, and how much it will cost.=20

  Wim=20