Damper Lever Rebuild (tad long)

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:44:11 -0500

> I can understand the experience thing. Good luck. I hope you learn a lot
from
> this. As far as the off center hole is concerned, I don't quite understand.
> The damper flanges I have seen have the hole in the middle. But even if they
> are off centered, you can use them, but then adjust the damper wire to move
> the damper head over to the string.
>
> Wim

Hi Wim and Terry,
                           Replacing those off set flanges require a lot of
wire bending to get all the tri and bi cord wedges to seat correctly.  To do
the job well you really should remove the hammer assemblies to get good access
to the wire.
FWIW On major damper jobs, I usually remove the hammer assemblies and back
rail.  That way I can see the bottom of the damper, and have lots of room for
the wire bending pliers, it does a better job.   It should be noted that the
dampers are installed before the hammers, shanks, and back rail, in the piano
factories.
It is faster to remove the butts, shanks and hammers.
Regards Roger