Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:52:07 +0200

Well, I pull staples and have never noticed a problem. Nor has doing so
ever effected tone in any big way.

>From what I have heard through the years it seems that perhaps in some
climates where conditions can vary in the extreme, the staple has some
function in holding the felt to the wood core. But other then this
nothing I have ever heard leads me to believe there is any reason to
fear pulling them out.

That being said, they do weigh a bit.. which translates into touch
weight. That might actually be desirable, or it might not be... depends
on your situation.

I used to pull staples way back when just because I thought they were a
pain in the patootey for reshaping hammers. Now the only reason I remove
them is for weight concerns.

I pulled out a set on a Hamburg "C"  just last spring without a worry. I
noticed no real change in voicing. But then this piano is about 15
years old and had a lot of use, and voicing sessions.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.