Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:02:06 -0700

Well I have periodically pulled staples on various hammers for various =
reasons--some already cited.  I have never noticed any problems either.  =
But when I brought this up in a discussion regarding Abel hammers, I was =
informed that I had destroyed the hammer by doing so.  Renner, in fact, =
does not use staples anymore.  The Steinway staple often needs to be =
pulled in order to trim the felt that tends to get bulky in the lower =
part of the hammer.  But since the Steinway hammer is not a tensioned =
hammer anyway, it does not seem to be an issue.  The feedback I am =
getting so far seems to confirm my own experience.

David Love

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 27, 2001 12:03 AM
  Subject: Re: Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

  I have heard talk of both Renner and Able proposing to make hammers =
without any staples at all, seem to remember hearing that one of those =
two factories are already doing so.=20
  I think one thing to keep in mind is the element of how critical any =
effect the staple might have is. Is any difference caused by pulling =
them out such that it presents any real problem or not ??=20

  David Love wrote:=20

     Yes, that represents one side of the discussion.  But the other =
side seems to disagree with that analysis as to its function. David Love =

      David,According to Wally Brooks, Brooks LTD, the staple acts as a =
"girdle", helping to keep pressure pushing upwards.  His source of =
information comes straight from Abel.Tom Servinsky,RPT=20
        -
  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20
  RPT, N.P.T.F.=20