String Question

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:35:16 -0100

> a real beat in the harmonics which become enharmonic because of the
> difference in inharmonicity between two wires of different diameters.

Enharmonic's about note names and pitches, ancient genera and such.

There will be greater deviation of partials in octaves if the same wire
size is employed. I think it's usual for the coefficient of
inharmonicity to double in octaves up the scale - for one wire size, it
may quadruple.

I think of false beats as a phenomenon of single strings - bridge pins,
kinks, defects in material or execution. False being more like to false
strings than non-real beats.

Clark